Did you know?
- Florida has incorporated approximately 12,000 nonprofits per year every year for more than 10 years?
- Florida’s nonprofit sector employs 429,800 people, 7% of the state’s workforce
- Of the 168,590 domestic nonprofit corporations reported by the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations there are 69,310 active nonprofit organizations: 50,655 501(c)(3) public charities, 5,960 501(c)(3) private and public foundations, and 12,695 other 501(c) nonprofit organizations
- Florida nonprofits generate more than $86 billion in annual revenues
- Florida nonprofits control nearly $192.9 billion in assets
- Floridians give $11.1 billion to charity each year,
representing 3.4% of household income
- The average charitable contribution of Florida itemizers in 2011 was $4,102
- Florida foundations annually give over $1.4 billion
Note: The “nonprofit sector encompasses organizations that are defined as tax-exempt under section 501(c) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This includes both public charities and private foundations [501(c)(3)] and other nonprofits such as civic leagues, Chambers of Commerce, Veterans Organizations, etc.